I finally jumped on the cauliflower rice train and it turns out I’ve been missing out. I love that you can easily spruce it up with whatever you’ve got in the fridge or pantry. Fried rice was calling my name so I added what I had around: mushrooms, some leftover fennel, and radicchio, plus shallots and garlic (my flavor staples), and eggs of course. I hadn’t decided how I was going to season this other than some tamari or coconut aminos (sweeter than tamari). In the end I used a little bit of each and also added in some garam masala—one of my favorite warm spices, and a touch of Brooklyn Delhi’s tomato achaar, which I think we’ve established I put on just about everything. Obviously garam masala and tomato achaar are not staples in everyone’s pantries and they can totally be omitted or swapped for anything you’d like! Have fun with it.
Half a head of cauliflower chopped/grated into rice
1 Tbs EVOO
Half a bulb of fennel diced
1 medium shallot diced
1 clove garlic thinly sliced
Half a head of radicchio shredded
Handful of mushrooms of your choice diced or torn
2 Tbs Tamari / coconut aminos
1 tsp garam masala spice
1 Tbs tomato achaar
Salt and pepper to taste (may not need salt depending upon what kind of tamari you use)
- Saute shallots in oil over medium-high heat for a minute, until they begin to soften.
- Add fennel and saute a few minutes more until they start to soften.
- Add Mushrooms and saute a few minutes more. Add in 1 Tbs of the tamari/aminos.
- Add the cauliflower “rice” and radicchio and season with remaining tamari and the garam masala and tomato achaar (or any spices/seasonings!).
- Saute until everything comes together and softens. Taste and add more tamrai/aminos, spices, salt and pepper or anything you’d like to taste.